Beijing - Public Diplomacy / Advocacy Officer, LE-07
Competition Number: 2017-LES-FPDS-016
Position Title: Beijing - Public Diplomacy / Advocacy Officer, LE-07
Closing Date: 2017.3.26 (at midnight UTC/GMT)
Starting Annual Gross Salary: RMB 175,655 (before tax and employee social insurance contributions; 13th month bonus and employer social insurance contributions are paid on top of the gross salary; salary is non-negotiable)
Area of Selection:
This position is open to external applicants residing in China and employees occupying an indeterminate or term position in China Missions who meet all the essential qualifications and whose applications are filed as explained below, and received by the closing date.
Short-listed candidates should be able to participate in tests and/or interviews in Beijing at own expense. The successful candidate will be required to relocate to Beijing at own expense.
Summary of duties:
Under the direction of the Counsellor, Public Diplomacy (PD), and in accordance with the Government of Canada’s priorities in China, the incumbent is responsible for conducting advocacy activities and developing materials aimed at raising Canada’s profile. In general, duties include: 1) planning and staging PD/advocacy events/activities; 2) media relations and other communications activities; 3) monitoring the Chinese and Canadian media and landscapes; 4) building networks of influential contacts; and 5) planning and implementing high-level outreach programs.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university in a discipline relevant to the position or an acceptable combination of education, training and work experience in the field of public affairs
- Proficiency in English (reading, writing, speaking)
- Proficiency in Mandarin (reading, writing, speaking)
- Minimum one year’s recent experience in every of the following areas:
- Experience in developing, planning and implementing public affairs events; and managing related budgets
- Experience in preparing communications products, such as news releases, speeches, backgrounders, articles, newsletters, fact sheets; as well as other materials, such as reports, visit programs, scenario notes
- Experience in media relations and using social media in communications work
- Experience in establishing and expanding a network of influential contacts
- Knowledge of the Chinese political, economic and social landscape (its dynamics and developments) and who the influential actors are in China
- Knowledge of China’s media and social media environment
- Knowledge of the Government of Canada's priorities in China
- Knowledge of events/project management practices and how to effectively manage each stage of the project life cycle
- Knowledge of how to conduct targeted advocacy campaigns that reach top influencers and decision-makers
- Ability to research and analyze the Chinese public environment, policies, issues, trends in order to provide advice and write briefs and reports
- Ability to write effective communications products (speeches, talking points, media backgrounders, Qs&As, fact sheets, etc.) and other documents (scenario notes, itineraries, visit programs, biographies, etc.)
- Ability to effectively conceive, manage and deliver seamless signature advocacy events that attract influential audiences
- Ability to effectively plan and manage budgets and ensure that expenditures align with initial forecasts
- Initiative – Identifies and deals with issues proactively and persistently
- Judgment – Thinks things through and applies sound judgment
- Effectiveness/Achievement Orientation – Meets and exceeds goals, and actively develops and puts more effective tools/methods in place
- Adaptability and Flexibility –Easily changes gears when circumstances demand it, juggles multiple tasks, and makes sure the desired standards are met
- Teamwork and Cooperation – Works well with others and actively contributes to the efforts of the team
- Networking/Alliance Building – Develops and maintains a network of relationships with key targets, colleagues and partner, and uses own network to identify opportunities and gain support/cooperation.
- Commitment to Public Confidence – Demonstrates values and ethics, and takes actions to uphold or protect organizational integrity
Conditions of Employment
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid working authorization in China. The Embassy / Consulates General can only facilitate working visas for Canadian citizens
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid “Reliability Status” security clearance
- Ability and willingness to work overtime on short notice, as required
- Able to travel domestically and internationally as required
How to Apply:
We are seeking high-quality written applications to establish a shortlist for further testing. Your application must include an application letter and curriculum vitae in English or French.
Your application letter should clearly indicate how you meet all of the mandatory requirements as listed under: the Area of Selection; Education; Languages and Experience.
Please click the link to complete your online application: http://www.wfca-tpce.com/vacancyView.php?requirementId=1658&source=PO
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those applicants meeting ALL the mandatory requirements will be contacted by the Embassy for written testing and interviews to evaluate applicants’ knowledge, abilities and personal suitability.
An eligibility list may be established from this process to staff potential vacancies that may arise within this domain on indeterminate, term or Emergency basis.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those invited to further assessment will be contacted. Please ensure that you provide appropriate contact information so that you can be easily reached (e-mail, phone, mobile, etc.)
For any questions, please contact email@example.com
The Government of Canada is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds irrespective of race, color, religion, gender, disability, age or sexual orientation.
The Government of Canada is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity or testing, you should advise us in a timely fashion of the accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.