Beijing - Political Relations Officer, LE-07; Closing Date: February 26, 2017 at 16:00pm (GMT +8)
Beijing - Political Relations Officer, LE-07
Competition Number: 2017-LES- FPDS-007
Position Title: Beijing - Political Relations Officer, LE-07
Closing Date: February 26, 2017 at 16:00 pm (GMT +8)
Starting Annual Gross Salary: RMB 175,655 (before tax and employee social insurance contributions; 13th month bonus and employer social insurance contributions are paid on top of the gross salary; salary is non-negotiable)
Area of Selection:
This position is open to external applicants residing in China and employees occupying an indeterminate or term position in China Missions who meet all of the essential qualifications and whose applications are received by the closing date.
Short-listed candidates should be able to participate in tests and/or interviews in Beijing at own expense. The successful candidate will be required to relocate to Beijing at their own expense.
Under the direction of the Counsellor, Political Relations (or designate), and in accordance with the Government of Canada’s priorities in China, the incumbent is responsible for contributing to the successful delivery of the political program at the Embassy of Canada in China. In general, duties include: 1) proactively researching, analyzing, reporting and providing advice on China’s foreign policy, regional security, and China’s international and domestic policies with respect to climate change, environment, and the Arctic; 2) supporting Canada’s interests and efforts to advance relations between Canadian and Chinese government ministries responsible for foreign policy, regional security, climate change, environment, and the Arctic; 3) developing, planning, managing and implementing high-level visits; and 4) building and maintaining networks of influential contacts to advance Canadian interests and positions.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in international relations, business administration, arts and culture, sociology, or a related discipline, OR an appropriate combination of education and recent work experience
- Proficiency in English (reading, writing, listening and speaking), and
- Native proficiency in Mandarin (reading, writing, listening and speaking)
- Recent* and significant** experience working with Chinese government entities, civil society, non-profit organizations or legal organizations
- Recent* and significant** experience analyzing the Chinese political environment and/or championing social, environmental, or political issues
- Recent* experience coordinating logistics and developing programs for high-level visits
- Experience in effectively managing sensitive communications
* Within the last year
** Minimum of one year
- Knowledge of the Chinese political system, Chinese foreign and domestic policy, and current trends and issues
- Knowledge of the mandates/functions of Chinese ministries, agencies, and institutions and how they shape political decision-making
- Knowledge of how civil society and non-government organizations operate in China
• Ability to research and analyze various sources of information on the political environment, policies, issues, trends, and other information in order to provide cogent/timely political intelligence in English (oral and written)
• Ability to prioritize, multi-task and organize own workload
• Ability to effectively coordinate and deliver high-level visits
• Ability to work productively under pressure and to meet deadlines
• Ability to perform accurate translation and interpretation from Chinese to English and vice versa
• Adaptability and Flexibility – Adapts tactics; adapts to change quickly and remains effective
• Judgment – Thinks things through; applies sound judgement in difficult situations
• Initiative – Plans ahead; identifies and deals with issues proactively and persistently
• Effectiveness/Achievement Orientation – Takes self-directed actions to achieve and surpass work expectations; implements innovative solutions
• Focus on Quality and Details – Monitors data and projects
• Client Focus - Acts to improve client service
• Networking/Alliance Building – Actively seeks relationship-building opportunities
• Teamwork and Cooperation – Solicits Input
• Effective Interactive Communication – Adapts language to the audience; shows keen sense of what to say and do to avoid giving offense and when dealing with difficult or delicate situations
Preferred standing may be given to those candidates who also meet the following:
• Proficiency in French (reading, writing, listening and speaking)
Conditions of Employment:
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid working authorization in China. Per Chinese regulations, the Embassy / Consulates can only facilitate working visas for Canadian citizens
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid “Reliability Status” security clearance
- Ability and willingness to work overtime on short notice as required
- Able to travel domestically and internationally as required
How to Apply:
We are seeking high quality written applications to establish a shortlist for further testing. Your application must include an Application Letter and Curriculum Vitae in English or French.
Your Application Letter should indicate why you meet the mandatory requirements on the following aspects:
- Area of Selection
Your Application Letter should also discuss your qualifications on:
- Experience working with Chinese government entities, civil society, non-profit organizations or legal organizations
- Experience analyzing the Chinese political environment and/or championing social, environmental, or political issues
- Experience in coordinating logistics and developing programs for high-level visits
- Experience in effectively managing sensitive communications
Send application to email@example.com.
Please indicate your full name, the competition number and position title in the subject line: “Your full name – Competition Number – Position Title”.
Please be advised that incomplete applications will not be considered.
An eligibility list may be established from this process to staff potential vacancies that may arise within this domain on indeterminate, term or Emergency basis.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those invited for further assessment will be contacted. Please ensure that you provide appropriate contact information so you can be easily reached (e-mail, phone, mobile, etc.).
A detailed Position Description is available at firstname.lastname@example.org upon request.
The Government of Canada is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds irrespective of race, color, religion, gender, disability, age or sexual orientation.
The Government of Canada is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity or testing, you should advise us in a timely fashion of the accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.